FM/CFS/ME RESOURCES - UK Disability Living Allowance


Search Site 
Disability Attornies
Find A Doctor
Drugs Used In FM & CFS/ME
In-Person Support Groups

Archived Poll Results
Candles of Hope
CMP Info.
Family and Friends
Financial Help
Letter To Loved Ones
Living With FM & CFS/ME
Newly Diagnosed
Rate Your Meds  -  Results
Recommend Doctor
Researchers Spotlight

Take Quiz
Quiz Winners
Patient Surveys


Helpline: 08457 123 456
Text Phone: 08457 224 433

This section will help you learn about the range of benefits, tax credits and other disability-related financial support you may be able to get.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
Disability Living Allowance - sometimes referred to as DLA - is a tax-free benefit for children and adults who need help with personal care or have walking difficulties because they are physically or mentally disabled. You must claim before you reach age 65.

Attendance Allowance (AA)
Attendance Allowance (AA) is a tax-free benefit for people aged 65 or over who need help with personal care because they are physically or mentally disabled.

Incapacity Benefit (IB)
If you can't work because of illness or disability you may be able to get Incapacity Benefit (IB), a weekly payment for people who become incapable of work while under State Pension age. It is paid in three weekly rates depending on how long you've been unable to work.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
From 2013 the Government is proposing to introduce a new benefit called Personal Independence Payment for eligible working age people aged 16 to 64 to replace Disability Living Allowance (DLA).

The intention is that Personal Independence Payment will focus support to those individuals who experience the greatest challenges to remaining independent and leading full, active and independent lives.

Contact us if you have any questions.

(updated Jan. 18, 2012)

 UK Disability Living Allowance
To get Disability Living Allowance you must be in Great Britain, or be treated as living here, and meet certain other conditions about your residence and presence.

You must:

  • Be normally resident in Great Britain (England, Scotland, Wales), and

  • Not be subject to immigration control, and

  • Be in Great Britain when you make your claim, and

  • Have been in Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man, Jersey or Guernsey for at least 26 weeks out of the last 52 weeks (the period is 13 weeks for babies under 6 months old and does not apply at all for people paid under special rules).

Time spent living in another European Economic Area country may in some cases be treated as a period in Great Britain for the purposes of the 26-week rule.

You may be treated as living in Great Britain if you are:

  • A member of HM Armed Forces serving abroad or member of their family

  • A mariner or airman working abroad

  • Working on the United Kingdom sector of the continental shelf (for example, on an oil rig)

 Disability Living Allowance Questions

Return to top of page

Who Can Get Disability Living Allowance?

ANSWER: You may get Disability Living Allowance if:

  • You have a physical or mental disability, or both

  • You are under 65 when you claim

  • Your disability is severe enough for you to need help caring for yourself or you have walking difficulties, or both

If you are aged 65 or over, you may be able to get Attendance Allowance. You can get Disability Living Allowance whether or not you work. It isn't usually affected by any savings or income you may have.

Special Rules - If You Are Terminally Ill
If you have a progressive disease and you are not expected to live for more than another six months there are special rules for claiming to make sure you get your benefit more quickly and easily.

Return to top of page

How Much Do You Get?

ANSWER: Disability Living Allowance has two parts called "components":

  • A Mobility Component - if you can't walk or need help getting around
  • A Care Component - if you need help looking after yourself or supervision to keep you safe

Some people will be entitled to receive just one component; others may get both. The care component and mobility component are paid at different rates depending on how your disability affects you.

 Disability Living Allowance Rates
Care Component Weekly Rate
Highest Rate £64.50
Middle Rate £43.15
Lowest Rate £17.10
Mobility Component Weekly Rate
Higher Rate £45.00
Lower Rate £17.10

Return to top of page